Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins for Brunch
In my original post Nut Free Egg Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe, I shared that sometimes I end up with too many ripe bananas and/or I need to bake for brunch or an event. But if I feel too much pressure or am not yet fully awake, I just can’t double a recipe correctly in my head. Thus I am sharing a double recipe here but please refer to the original post for more details about the recipe and how to make it nut free and egg free and product recommendations. The recipe development was a labor love and included some lessons learned from a baking competition and misadventures.
Enjoy making this Nut Free Egg Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe for a brunch or potluck.
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons of Ener-G Egg Replacer + 6 tablespoons of warm water
- ½ cup organic sugar
- 1 cup yogurt (any plain or vanilla variety)
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups of all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup plus ¼ cup of nut free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit and line two 12 cup cupcake/muffin tin with liners.
- Use a potato masher to mash the bananas in a large bowl until they are no longer banana shaped, but still chunky.
- Use an immersion blender or a whisk to beat the Ener-g Egg Replacer and warm water until frothy and add to the banana mixture.
- Add sugar, yogurt, butter, and vanilla extract to the bananas and mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon (if using) and add to the banana mixture.
- Combine the banana and flour mixtures quickly by hand with a spatula until it mostly mixed (it's okay if there are still a few large lumps of flour).
- Mix in ½ cup of chocolate chips and be careful not to overmix.
- Evenly scoop the batter into each muffin liner (about 2 heaping tablespoons each) and sprinkle the tops of each muffin with a few chocolate chips.
- Allow the batter to rest on the counter for 5-10 minutes, meanwhile use a toothpick to mix any large lumps of flour and to push the chocolate chips slightly into the dough.
- Bake for 25 minutes (time may vary) and the muffins are ready when a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean with a few crumbs on it.